Thursday 15 October 2009

My Other Half

Initially, I wasn't quite sure how this card would work out. I thought of using my parents to begin with, some couples volunteered themselves, and I also considered using my current boyfriend. Just before my final drawing, I even mocked up a photo of myself with the iconic Joe Dallesandro, but none of the options felt right.

In the past I had designed another Lovers card using twins. The original idea had come from seeing a design by Graham Cameron in his 'Phantasmagoric Theatre Tarot'. He placed two identical looking lovers on the same chair. When I suggested that I might use myself as my own lover in this card, a friend shrugged and commented "Hmm. Makes sense. Use the person you love the most". One for the ego!

As much as this card is about love, it is also about choice, which is why one of the characters has blond hair. He represents a different avenue. I got the idea of using conjoined twins from a film I own called Brothers of the Head. In my illustration, these guy's arms are hidden behind. It might seem that they are tied together in more ways than one.

I am really happy with this card. The colors make it for me. Also, in contrast to some of the others, there is enough symbolism to get most people's mind's working.

No comments: