Wednesday 14 October 2009

Decisions, decisions ...

For this card, I made decisions, and then at the last moment, I changed them.

Initially, the man in this picture was blindfolded like the woman in the original Rider Waite version of the card, but by the end of the drawing, I felt that he didn't look right and decided to show his eyes instead, contrary to tradition.

The 2 of Swords is a card of stalemate.You might think of it as a 'gone to lunch' sign or a road block. It tells us that a decision needs to be made, but at the time of reading, this is not happening. When this card turns up in a spread, it could suggest a resistance to change or someone who can not decide on how to move forward. It can also represent someone who is either sticking their head in the sand or avoiding something important.

The model for this card is my partner, Daz. My reason for choosing him is a little tongue in cheek. Since we began dating a couple of months ago, I have consistently mocked him about his inability to make decisions. This usually concerns the things we organise to do together. So that I don't always get my way and we do things which he enjoys as well, I try to get him to make choices as often as possible. Putting him in this card will hopefully be a good reminder for him.

Even though I chose to remove Daz's blindfold, I have acknowledged a little traditional symbolism. As you might see, I subtly tucked two swords into the fabric of his jacket, and round his neck, he wears an upside-down 'question mark' as a silver pendant.

No comments: