Wednesday 30 September 2009

Dressed for Success

The idea for this card came to me just the other day. Because this deck is such a personal one, I am trying my best, where possible, to match people and situations to my understanding of the cards. The majority of meanings stem from the interpretations offered by Edward Arthur Waite and the paintings of Pamela Coleman Smith, which were published in 1910.

The 6 of Wands is a card I am always happy to receive, but I have to say that I don't draw it as often as I would like. In the traditional image, a man arrives home on horseback. He has most probably been in battle, and crowds gather to celebrate his victory and welcome him back. In their eyes, he has achieved something and gains a level of notoriety.

In my card, I have chosen to illustrate it with my two friends, Jojo and Malou as subjects. I have already used Malou for the Knight of Pentacles, but here, she is joined inside the laurel reef by her close friend and business partner.

I met both girls in 2000, when we all began to study at art college. After that year, Malou and I went to the same university to complete our studies, and Jojo went to another. After we had all finished our degrees, Malou and Jojo joined forces and began their own ladieswear label. In the years that followed, with a lot of skill and hard work, they have developed a keen following and have successfully carved out their place in the fashion industry.

I have a lot of friends who are successful, but few have achieved this level of public acknowledgement. The Six of Wands recognises fame as part of it's identity, but warns us not to gloat or revel in our triumphs at the expense of those less fortunate. I have chosen my two Swedish friends for this very reason. As well as my being very proud of what they have achieved, they are also two of the most down to earth people you could meet.

2 comments:

AJ said...

Hi, really nice blog you got here. And good luck in your coming deck! It looks good.

Steven Bright Tarot said...

Hi Aj.
Thankyou very much for your kind words. The images just started off as illustrations for this site. I only intended to do a couple, but friends encouraged me to more and I enjoyed doing them, so I continued. It has been a really enjoyable project so far. And one day, I hope to print them out and use them in readings.
Hope you are well.