Saturday 5 September 2009

Man of the Earth

On completing my last court card, I introduce this king to his tarot family. He slots in well between the enthusiastic student, hardworking knight, and luxury-loving queen. With his feet firmly grounded in practicality and Mother Earth, please meet the King of Pentacles.

The King of Pentacles is a man of the earth and his environment. You may find him fronting his own business, or alternatively, in his wellies at the bottom of the garden. This man is all about the physical realm. Like the other three courts in this suit, he is not scared of hard work. He may play a little safer than the other kings, but this cautious approach in business and other matters has brought about successful and consistent results.

For this card, I have chosen my friend Matt. He is married to one of my closest friends, and through time, has become very dear to me and I know I can trust him. While talking to him last weekend as he washed up after the barbecue, it dawned on me how suitable he would be for this card.

In recent years, he has started his own business. As with anything like this, it has had the occasional challenge, but he has built it up and works very hard to keep it performing. None of the characters from the suit of Pentacles are work-shy, and as a one-man-band (with a little help from his wife), his achievements are all down to his own effort.

Matt and his wife enjoy walking. On a few occasions, they have had me stumbling through fields (cigarette in hand) and on nature tracks in their local area. They both like to be outdoors and part of their natural surroundings. For me, the reward has always been a pint or something to eat at the other end. Like this king, Matt appreciates the physical too. This stems that bit further than his environment. Like the queen, he likes good food and comfort.

I am pleased to have finally finished the sixteen court cards now, and can slot the king into his suit. I really never thought I would get this far.

No comments: