Monday 28 September 2009

A Stab at the 3 of Swords

Taking on the minors of this deck has been on my mind for some time. I have only completed two aces so far. In the Ace of Swords, a young man has an aha moment from within the frame of a light bulb. In the Ace of Wands, another young guy represents the first spark of new passion and excitement.

I have had many ideas for the 3 of Swords. As a card of separation, my initial idea was of a broken bridge. Beneath it, would have been a stream of red, suggesting blood and pain. I photographed a bridge and began to draw from the picture, but the illustration felt lifeless and did not fit in with the others I had done already. This deck has become a very 'people oriented' collection of images, and with a card that endeavours to communicate heartbreak and hurt feelings, the 3 of Swords needed that personal touch as well.

I have tried to acknowledge tradition once again. In Pamela Coleman Smith's original painting, we are shown a heart which has been stabbed by three swords. In my card, I have tried to add that flavour, but in a more emotionally subtle way. A handsome young man stands in front of several dark clouds. From what he wears, he could be a boxer and might have been amongst a fight or two. Two plasters are placed over his wounded heart, suggesting upset and emotionally difficult times.

Even though this card presents a difficult transition, it does suggest repair. Covered up from further infection, this man's wound will heal. We already know he is a fighter and is strong enough to deal with his previous or present pain. As with traditional versions of this card, I have added the rising rays of the sun to show that despite how he is feeling now, the future will eventually be brighter.

For the second time, I have chosen Christopher de Gabriele for an illustration (a friend I met when I was at university). He was also the model for the second card I created, The Magician. This time, it is an aesthetic choice. The illustration is taken from a series of photographs that I made in my last year of studies, and he wears a pair of shorts which I both designed and made.

No comments: