Saturday 5 September 2009

The Entertainer

As I have said before, the process of finding the right models and subjects for my cards has been extremely natural. With just two kings left to design, I ran into both at a barbecue last week. I hadn't expected to find either there, but in the same way as it has with nearly every card so far, I knew that the subject of this card was right for the King of Wands as soon as he came and sat down next to me.

I have known Marc for a few years. He is a friend of a friend and we occasionally meet at social gatherings. He is one of those guys I always enjoy running into, because he has a vibrant personality and can be very entertaining. As do all of the figures in the Wand court.

Think of the sun bursting through the clouds in this illustration. People represented by the suit of wands radiate excitement and are a lot of fun to be around. Now think of this man. A king is the highest rank in his family, and here, he handles his playful side with maturity. The knight doesn't always know what to do with all of his energy, but with experience, the king can use it to guide and inspire others. He is a warm and popular man, who has many a follower.

Since this card shows one of the two remaining kings, this card completes another tarot family. The King and Queen of Wands are an explosion of energy when together. As are their presentational offspring, the knight and page. Altogether, this fiery crowd make for a creative and exciting group of people to spend time with.

No comments: