Monday 31 August 2009

The First Domino

With being preoccupied by the 9-5 job, I have not had so much time to make it into this blog lately, let alone design more cards. But as the days have passed, I have stacked up a handful of new subjects for my illustrations. I have photographed a landscape for a forthcoming minor card, and for the illustration which accompanies today's entry, I had taken a selection of photos.

I tried today's card out in a few different ways. I wanted to add other elements to the image, but they just didn't work. So in the end, I added only the flash to the tip of the young man's cigarette, since it has strong relevance to my understanding of this particular card.

The Ace of Wands embarks on a new beginning. Imagine tossing a match into a barn. Pretty quickly, it would catch on the hay and spread. Minutes later, you'd have a full fire on your hands. This card is a bit like that. If you think of it as a card of creativity and inspiration, then you'll understand that when it falls into a reading, it is that first domino in a chain of inspirational situations and projects we might be passionate about. People who are described by a card like this are easily excited and consistently throw themselves into things which are new, however risky.

For this illustration, I introduce you to Twydall. I met him some time back when he worked in a cafe, even though the conversation was very brief. We were much later re-introduced in a pub, and since then, have spoken many more times.

Twydall has a very excitable personality. Only recently, he asked me to go and see him perform his poetry. On that occasion, I couldn't make it, but the other week, he gave some friends and I a sampler of his poems. His work is observant, thought out, and cuts to the chase. He communicates well with his audience, and has a great range, allowing them to both laugh at the comedy in his work and ponder on the more reflective aspects. I chose Twydall for this card, because like that fire in the metaphorical barn, where ever he ends up going, I see him becoming far bigger and more impressive than just that single lit match, inspiring others as he grows.

No comments: