Monday 3 August 2009

The Wild Card

I have had this card in my head for some time. As with yesterday's illustration of Thijs, I had planned on using a certain person for this card. When another friend from Canada sent me a photograph of her dog, Isabella, the whole set-up for the picture suddenly came together in my mind. The traditional version of this card contains a small dog as the travelers companion.

I am not usually one for re-naming the cards within a tarot pack, but when you are using people who you care about as the models, you hardly want to insensitively label them with a title like The Fool, which is why I have chosen to re-title this particular unnumbered card.

The Fool, or Traveler, as we have here, has no value in the tarot. The card can pop up anywhere and alter a reading. It will provide fresh beginnings at best. At worst, it can be chaotic and hard to tie down.

I have chosen my friend Kate for this image. I have known her for what must be eighteen years now. As a couple of Piceans, we connected well instantly. At the time, neither of us were particularly responsible and lived those days for the moment. Even though still in contact, we do not see each other so regularly these days. However, in the true spirit of this card, when we do meet up, we always have a lot of unpredictable fun and it is as if we had never been apart.

The Traveler is a card of spontaneity. It might advise you to throw a sicky, go on a sneaky shopping trip, or have a day at the coast. If you're relationship has become stale, it might suggest spicing it up and trying something new with your partner. It is about taking a chance. Kate was always someone who would pop up unexpectedly in my life and then disappear just as quickly. Even though an extremely caring and generous person, it might not always be so easy to find her in a time of trauma (even though she would be there for you if she could), but every moment that was spent with her was never wasted.

The Traveller is a character of great excitement and the card suggests we grab an opportunity before it is gone. My friend is now a mother and is enjoying the responsibility it has brought, but knowing her, she still manages to find excitement and possibility in all opportunities, wherever it is she happens to be travelling through.

No comments: