Sunday 16 August 2009

The Flash of Fire

This card was especially pleasing to do. When I work on these illustrations, they take many hours. I draw each by hand on the screen with a mouse, using photographs as source material. Not all of them go right first time, so it can become quite frustrating on occasion. But while I am locked into the drawing, the person I am studying is pretty much the only thing on my mind. As well as concentrating on every line which makes up their face, I am also thinking about how I can successfully communicate the person's personality to others through my drawing.

Today's subject was pleasing because she and I go back a long way. Right to the early 80s. As the Queen of Wands, let me introduce you to Jennie.

Jennie has an important place in this deck, for she represents the first major shift of direction I took in my teenage years. She is a symbol of my finding an identity and seeking independence.

The two of us met at school when we were both about 14. She may remember it differently, but I am sure our first interactions involved mucking about in religious study lessons. Once introduced, we soon started hanging about at break, sitting next to each other in lessons, meeting up in evenings, and going here, there and everywhere at weekends. We formed a very solid bond, wrote each other secret notes, and shared all of our thoughts and feelings. She was very different to any friend I had known before. She liked to have fun and take risks. She was exciting to be around and for many years, we spend much of our free time together (getting into far more trouble than we should have been and loving every minute).

Jennie could probably take on the role of all four queens in the tarot. She has been sensitive, a hard-worker, and a woman who speaks her mind with strength and conviction. She has changed her career direction as many times as her hair colour, but in all she has done, has remained focused and dedicated. But it is with the Queen of Wands that I wanted to place her in this deck. Mainly due to the memories of those teenage years, which flooded back as I worked on her portrait.

People warm to the Queen of Wands in many ways. As an entertaining and fun type of gal, she draws the interest of those around her, since there is a flash of fire which she channels and it can be very contagious. She knows how to have fun and thrives on new and challenging experiences. As a lover, she is warm, loyal and liberal. All of the members of the wand suit have a strong understanding of their sexuality. They are a very passionate family.

Working on this card has been a little different to the others. In linking my friend to a card, I had to dig further into the past than I have with any of the other models and it has been really warming to think back over those distant years.

No comments: