Sunday 2 August 2009

The Aha Moment

You might call it a flash of inspiration or an 'aha' moment. Or like Archimedes, you might cry 'Eureka' when you have finally managed to figure something out. This is what the Ace of Swords is all about. It is that moment of clarity or mental awareness, cutting through the clouds of doubt or confusion.

I have had a few of these moments in the past week. As well as reading the cards professionally, I often apply for design work, and since Monday, I have had two interviews for a men's underwear position. Beforehand, I needed to put together trend and design boards and research heavily. At the beginning of the week, I really wanted the job and was excited about it, but by Friday, I had one of these Ace of Swords moments. Thinking things through, I realised that the job is not for me.

Because of the current climate, people are snatching at anything they can get, and this job spelt security to me. But I realised that I must look at the bigger picture. I had been so blinded by the pound signs and shiny packaging of the role, that I had not stopped to think about whether it was what I really want for the long term. Through a flash of clarity, I realised it was not. It was like the switching on of a light bulb. As well as beginning to get commissions for artwork and more tarot events booked, it has also been suggested that I take on more creative teaching. I realised that these things were more suitable than the job for which I had applied.

As a design, this card has been sitting on the back burner for some weeks. I welcome my friend, Thijs, back for a second time as a model. While going through his photographs for my Knight of Swords illustration last month, I also came across the one I have used as a resource here. Showing Thijs looking over his shoulder, it made me smile and reminded me of that aha moment I have been speaking of regarding the Ace of Swords. I asked him if he would mind my using him for more than just one card, as I thought the pose would work well with my design handwriting.

So, here we have the Ace of Swords. Embarking on the numbered cards of the Minor Arcana, I wanted them to look a little different from those which have already been created. As I continue with them, they will very likely become more abstract than the court and major cards have already been.

No comments: