Monday 1 June 2009

It's Showtime!


The Magician is the first numbered card of the tarot and begins our story. As if by magic, he pulls inspiration, fantasy and possibility down from the heavens above and grounds it in physical reality. I use the words 'as if by magic', because all of us have the ability to bring our dreams to life in one way or another, regardless of whether we feel we have the resources or not. I chose to both illustrate and kick-start my blog with this card because as well as symbolising a first step, it reminds me of how my new business venture has descended from a dream.

I flipped through many old photographs to find my Magician and stopped at the one which I have used as a resource for this illustration. It is of a young man who modelled for me on several occasions during my last year at university. In this drawing, I include a little of the card's magic, as he pulls down an inspirational flash from above and uses it as a means to create something tangible here on earth. While the magical threads and stars in the picture flow from his right hand down to the ground, he is a conductor of raw energy. At best, artists, performers and writers aspire to become a channel for this kind of creativity, wanting to transmit it into their paintings, songs and books.

The friend I have used for this card was more than an aesthetic choice. While working with him on my course, his input helped bring my projects to life, so it seemed fitting to use him as a symbol of and vessel for inspiration here. As my blog truly opens with this card, the hard work begins. I need to now find a way of putting all of my ideas, conversations and aspirations into some kind of real and conscious action. It's showtime, as they say.

No comments: