Wednesday 10 June 2009

A Woman of her Word

This evening, I practiced the tarot with a friend. He read for me and I read for him. Drawing one card at a time, we answered each other's questions and it gave me a chance to try out my new deck, Dame Fortune's Wheel, by Paul Huson. The results were very accurate, and for me, the Queen of Swords answered more than one pressing problem.

I have always seen a particular friend as the Queen of Swords. Even though she can be a kind and nurturing person, like many, she wears a protective suit of amour in certain situations. At work, she knows her stuff and sticks to her word. With her children, even though being a caring and generous mother, they are more than aware of who the boss is. And as a very close friend, she has never sugar-coated her responses to the questions I have asked. If you want a straight answer or someone who won't get over-emotional in a tense situation, then this is your girl.

This friend has a special place amongst this deck. Aside from being a good friend for near on twenty years, in recent times, I owe a lot of the opportunities I have had to her belief in me. In helping me find experience within the high street fashion industry, she was the first domino in a string of contacts and contracts. In actual fact, without her initial and consistent help, the drawings on this blog might never have come into being. They represent years of practice which was either initiated or manifested with her supportive eye. As a head of graphic design, it was a true compliment for her to praise these illustrations this evening.

The Queen of Swords can often receive a bad wrap. People don't always warm to her because they don't take the trouble to find out what her harsh words or armour are concealing beneath them or from her past. But you can be assured that what she says will be as true as she sees it. It may not be wrapped up in pretty packaging on every occasion, but her word is one you can rely and depend upon.

No comments: