Tuesday 7 July 2009

Beneath the Armour

I spoke with a prospective client last night, and during the conversation, thought it might be a good idea to spend five minutes here, talking about how I work. Many people who I talk to are often put off by having their cards read, due to bad experiences in the past. I remember my cousin's ex-girlfriend once telling me that a reader had informed her she would be dead by 40. For your interest, I read for this woman when she was 42.

Quite recently, I was booked to read at two fairs. Due to the unprofessional nature of the organiser, I am no longer involved with the events, but one of the things I became aware of when talking with him, was that his regular readers professed to be psychic and a lot of their customers expected it. Often, I think people misunderstand what a tarot reader actually does. Even though some will carry these add-ons, not all readers make contact with the other side, dress as gypsies or charge you an extra twenty-quid to remove a previous curse. I have had psychic skills since I was a child, and even though I sometimes draw on them when reading, they are not part of my marketing make-up.

The cards that I design for this blog have a lot to do with the image I want to project as a reader. They are of real people; all of which, have a place in my life at the moment. I try my best to provide practical and realistic guidance for such characters in the world. The word 'fortune' suggests that our fate is not in our hands. If the future can not be changed, then what would be the point of shelling out cash for a reading? My aim is to provide my clients with control over their lives; to be the cause, rather than the effect of what happens to them.

When I read for you, I will lay out ten cards. They will look at your present, your past, your hopes, and your fears. They will advise you as to where you are stuck and who can help you to move forward. They offer suggestions and guidance, but only you can affect your future by using the information I provide.

The illustration for today's post is of the Page of Cups. I have always had a strong affection for this card, and as with yesterday's, wanted to choose a model who was youthfully vibrant and creative. Today, I add my friend Sergio to the clan. Sergio is a good example of the new beginnings symbolised by the rank of page, since he uses himself as a canvas in many ways. I do not mean this as obviously as in his love for tattoo, but more around the general images he creates - each look is organic and naturally fresh.

The Page of Cups works with his feelings, and from knowing Sergio, I also recognise someone who is emotional and caring beneath the armour of his image and self-design. As a friend, he has been consistent in his care and contact with me, which is the reason I chose to use him for this illustration.

No comments: